La Ventana, Baja California, Mexico



General information


As of January 23, 2007, all travelers are now required to have passports - including U.S. citizens returning to the U.S. by air from throughout the Western Hemisphere. This new requirement includes Canadians, Americans and others who have previously been exempt from having to carry a passport to enter or re-enter the U.S. 

More info at Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

US Consulate in Cabo San Lucas:
Blvd. Marina Local C-4, Plaza Nautica, Col. Centro - Tel: 624 143 3566


If you are either staying in Mexico longer than 72 hours or traveling past the Border Zone you will need o fill a Tourist Visa Form (Multiple Migratory Form or FMM). It is valid for six months (180 days) with multiple entries. Make sure you ask for the full 180 days even is you plan to stay only a short time.

In Baja California, the border zone has been extended to San Quintin, on the Pacific side and San Felipe, on the Sea of Cortez.

According to the law you must have the Tourist Card on you while traveling (make a copy if possible in case original is lost). You can pick up a card at the border, just stop at immigration as you cross into Mexico, parking is available. You must have either a current passport or original birth certificate with current ID. Baja California and Sonora sometimes only require a current ID, but it's wise to check with the consulate first.

Immigration will not take money for the card, you must go to a bank (there is usually one next to Customs). You can also pay the fee at any bank in Mexico, where upon they will stamp your FMM. You must then go back to immigration, or the next immigration office in the next town you visit, and have them stamp your card as valid. Make sure you do this right away, do not wait until your trip is half over. Your best bet is to take care of all of this at the border.

NOTE: If you are arriving by airline or cruise, your FMM fee will be charged in the cost of your package or fare, and they will give you your tourist card to fill out for Customs when you land.


Cash rules in Mexico. Most of the businesses in La Ventana won't take a credit card or will charge you extra to do so (up to 13% extra).

There is no ATM in La Ventana. The closest ATM is in La Paz, so plan accordingly.

Make sure you also call your bank if you plan on using your credit card or ATM to let them know that you are traveling to Mexico so that they won't block your card.


A local phone number is area code + seven digit numbers.
Typically a number in La Ventana is 612 114 xxxx
To call a local number, just dial the seven digit number.

To dial a local cell phone number from a landline, you need to add the prefix 044 + area code + seven digit.

Local and international phone calls an be made from local booth using a mexican phone cards available in local shops.

Skype or other voip service can be also used from different places in La Ventana. See internet cafe

To call a mexican land line from the USA, dial 011 52 + area code + seven digit number

To call a mexican cell phone from the USA, dial 011 52 1 + area code + seven digit number

To call USA or Canada from Mexico, dial 001 + area code + number 


GSM (Cingular, T-Mobile) cellular phones have some coverage in La Ventana. Not everywhere, but in most places.

Local GSM providers include Telcel and Movistar.
If you plan to spend some time in the region and have an unlocked GSM phone, you can buy a local prepaid SIM chip. It will give you a local mexican cell number and you will be able to refill it by buying 'minutes' at news stands or tech shops.

Home | Travel Info | Accommodations | Food&Dining | Activities
Services | Real Estate | Forum | About us | Site map
All Rights Reserved 2007. Design by Internewmedia LLC